Monday, 9 September 2013

Colouring Avenging Spider-Man #21: Part One

I was looking through Paolo Rivera's blogspot a while ago and was just blown away by the lengths he goes through to create a cover/comic, as well as loving his artwork as there's just something about his style that is an awesome mix of modern comics and silver-age art styles.

One piece that caught my eye in particular was Rivera's cover for 'Avenging Spider-Man #21' (you can see the original here) for it's unique composition and it's almost nostalgic aesthetic. What was really interesting was that he broke down his process for creating the final piece from this I thought I would take his pencils for this piece and attempt to ink and colour it myself giving my own spin on it to find out several things;

1. If inking can change an original artists pencils.
2. To test some new brushes I had bought for photoshop.
3. To hopefully practice colour theory and working within photoshop again.

For this piece I predominately used two brushes. A custom inking brush for drawing the lines and colouring the base layers and a rough inking brush for the shadows/shading on the characters. Before I go further into the development of this piece (I'm saving that for part two) I'm going to self evaluated the piece.

My main objective of this mini-project was to see if I could replicate the professional colouring and inking job done on this cover and to see if I can work to another artist's pencils. Overall I feel my attempt isn't quite as up to scratch as the original but for a sophomore effort is pretty good, there are little nuances that may not be obvious when looking such as the webbing isn't as sharply done and the goggle-eyes are a little rough. I tried to keep the painted look with the rough inking brush, especially on the shaded areas which work pretty well making the divide between the two colours not as sharp and more subdued.

One thing I was worried about was doing the faces inside the chameleon's body but this too was executed well enough proving that Rivera really is a master at composition as there was little I could do wrong if I just followed his frame work. Doing this I believe I achieved what I set out to do, prove that I can work to another artist's ground work and by doing this piece I have a better understanding of colour and how to use my custom brushes which will hopefully lead to better original pieces.

For people looking to up their skills, after going through this process, I recommend finding an artist's work comic book or other wise and try recreate something they've done as a way of improve your skills or testing new tools to get a bearing on how they work and achieve the effects they have in their pieces, it also gives you a weird rest on trying to come up with something if you've got artist's block and mat result in some inspiration when you're done.

In my next post I'll talk about the process I went through to get to the final version.

Check out Paolo Rivera's Blog: The Self-Absorbing Man
Get the brushes I used for this piece from Kyle T Webster's site: Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment