Sunday, 16 October 2011

Looking at Concept Art: Monster Hunter

After looking at the art of Final Fantasy XIV I was reminded that I had a copy of the art of Monster Hunter on my shelf. Considering the game is fantasy based I thought it'd be good to look through both for analysis and use during the conceptualising step of my characters. I have a feeling it'll come in great use when I get stuck with a design for armour or a weapon.

This piece here show one of the many and various types of armours players can obtain. Firstly all of the armour in the game is based off the monsters you defeat which is a great idea for designing armour. Here in this design there is a clear mix of several elements such as metal, dragon hide and leather, then theres the great inclusion of a piece that is more recognisable as apiece of dragon on the arm acting as a shield/gauntlet of sorts. The head piece also creates avery intimidating look to this armour implying that the creature was clearly one that takes a high amount of skill to dispatch.

The colour scheme here again follows that base idea of two main colours with shades backing up the design. The use of grey and orange work well together and backed up with the cool grey really give an almost realistic value to the design.


This piece here shows the variations of one armour set for two genders. The main differences between the two are that the male varient features a helmet and the female one has more of a dress. Beyond that the designs are pretty similar but the slight differences between the two go a long way to add diversity to one armour set.

Another thing about this armour set shows that in the Monster Hunter universe there's a good amount of variation from the large bulky ones such as the above to these more selnder and light weight looking armour. This combined with the fact that most armours have male and female variants adds much more visual depth to the game and the world the players live in. As noted in the my analysis of Final Fantasy XIV art the armour is almost colour coded, where as here it's more relating to the monsters which were slain to gain the armour the colour coding is still present.



This final piece is in here as it shows the amount of annotation the artist has put onto one piece which gives me the impression that many of the armours designed will have had the same amount of notes written around them. With the image and this much annotation theres no way anything would get left out between steps of passing over concept art to the modeller or programmer.

I will try keep this in mind as I have often annotated my own designs but not to this level where every little detail is explained, hopefully this would give me the experience of working in the art department solely instead of on this project.

The armour itself like many of the others is well designed mixing in many influences from various eras and the design of the weapon is not to be taken seriously and adds that bit of fun to the design and ultimately the game.

I would imagine that this work would have been sketched out first before being polished up and coloured with a paint program, this is beginning to become very much a trend in the artwork I've been looking art, I may end up using this as my main method creating my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment