Thursday, 2 June 2011

Tuco Turnaround

With the designs completed and finished I though it was about time to complete a turnaround. The first thing you'll notice is the difference in presentation.

I went back and looked at the art of mass effect, it was in that book that I noticed that the professionals don't neccessarily adher to the strick front side back rules and instead go for a full front and back pose of the character at a 3/4 pose. Firstly this makes things a little easily as it means I'm not having to draw a third pose but I still translate pretty much the whole idea.

Next is the method of completing the turnarounds. Instead of using heavy black lines I use the paintbrush tool more and this still conveys the shape of the character and the detail but without the heavy black lines, again this is a much quicker process and I feel that the final outcome and aesthetic is much better than the previous versions.

In terms of the design of Tuco I'm quite glad with the way this has turned out, whilst not explicitly saying it's sci-fi it wouldn't look out of place in a sci-fi film. The darker choice of skin works in favour of the overall design. As mentioned in my research the characters of the good, the bad and the ugly the characters are define in the colour spectrum by shades of brown, to update this I decided to change this to grey, this does look a little dull but it fits with the aesthetic and current trends of "semi real" sci-fi films. Overall I feel that this turn around is a step in the right direction both for this project but as a development step as a conceptual artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment