Wednesday, 20 April 2011

A New Project!

In this new project from DFGA I have a complete choice what I decide to do for it, essentially setting my own brief. This concept will be negotiated with my tutors until a suitable project can be made from my initial idea for what to complete.

For this project I have tasked myself with re-inventing an exisiting IP for a new audience. For this I have chosen to re-invent the film "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", ideally I want to create a new take on this classic story, coincidentally this film comes from a series which includes a re-invention of the film "Yojimbo" by Akira Kurosawa.

In the research and development stages of the project I will be deciding what this re-invention will be for; film, video game, comic or a tv series. During this stage I'll also be trying to determine a target audience for this new product.

I will be achieving the objective of this project by creating concept art for character designs of the the three main characters, at least one setting/environment and one prop. I decided to choose this method for completing the brief as I really want to focus on my strong points and create some high quality pieces of work for my portfolio.

During this project I'll be looking at books that contain concept art for a variety of medias, ranging from games to films and any other books I can get my hands on. I'll also be researching and analysing similar IPs that have gone through re-inventions themselves to figure out the method and purpose for it. I'll also be researching the proper tools used by industry standard conceptual artists.

In this project I also want to add storyboards to my portfolio, ideally I would like to go out and acquire a third party in need of a storyboard sequence, be it industry or indy. If failing that I could always try storyboard a scene from my re-invented IP, I'm doing this as both a portfolio builder but alo to improve my storyboarding skills. This ofcourse will be followed up with research and critical anaylses of industry standard storyboards.

My project is a very conceptual based as it's really the area in the creative media industry that I would like to see myself in. With this in place I'm already about to start rewatching "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" to get a feel of the characters and environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment