Friday, 14 May 2010

Digital Film Production: Rotoscoping test

After going through a tutorial with a green screen and the processes of taking greenscreen film and working with it to seperate foreground props and actors from the background I decided to develop some of my own skills in special effects. As previously mentioned in one of my concepts I would quite like to include some rotoscoping so Idecided to take some green screen footage from a class make and work on creating a rotoscope of the same length as the footage. I exported the movie as a collection of images using After Effects and started by drawing over each frame in photoshop after about 5 or so frames I decided that I would miss out every second from as it wasn't required that I needed every single frame to be animated.

After 2 hours I had a collection of just over 50 frames equating to 2 seconds as the average frame per second rate for animation is 24fps, when played back at this rate the movement seemed too fast and unhuman, so I halved the frame rate to 12 as I had missed out every second frame from the film and it soon moved much more slowly. The result is below.



At a conversion rate of 2 hours of work for 4 seconds it works out at 6 hours for 10 seconds which would be a good amount of time to apply the special effect in the film. I'm quite eager to try work this into the script of my more conceptual based film idea. At least now I can say I've successfully rotoscoped a piece of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment