Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Visual Language: Poster Development

Last time I spoke about this I drew up thumbnails of the ideas that I want to develop and the the ones I particularly liked I drew out with more detail and annotation. One of the ones that I liked favourably was the the Drew Struzan in fluenced piece, so using the more detailed and annotated thumbnail I began to photograph the images of the components needed, this included myself, one of my friends (who is very lovely), the Art College and the small robot toy. I took the pictures of everything but the college in one of the photography studios in the college using a Canon D30, I also used a red backdrop to help distinguish the subject from the background to allow for easier selection. I then took the photos into Photoshop and arranged them accordingly, since I was to digitally paint the subjects I thought I would create a test version of the image as the photographs had no continuity to them in that they had different light sources. I decided to use the "stylistic tracing" technique again using Photoshop and a wacom tablet, below is the result.


(click to enlarge)

This mock up allowed me to see what the final piece could look like. I tried to encoporate a boarder as Struzan does this as well. The small colour pixel Koopas I found via image searching they were put there to illustrate that I want something game realted falling from the top of the image, I am undecided as to whether or not to keep these game related characters/items as simple pixels or to give them a painted/rendered look. I also added an influence for Rob Sheridan in the form of the red band along the bottom of the image, I feel that this influence works well with the video game influence as both have simular (all be it differently achieved) visuals. Overall I'm pleased with the Composition and feel that it looks very much like a film poster and it's clear to see the Struzan influence.

After completing this rough "pencils" stage I thought I should experiement and see how it'd look with a very basic colour job. Again I used the program Photoshop to complete this step.

(click to enlarge)

The colour job allows me to tranlaste more visual ideas that I want to add to the piece such as mist coming from around the robot toy, a twilight type sky and amendments to the videogame characters falling from the sky. This give a more complete look to the the image I want to create and I feel it is successful in outline both my intrests and influences.

Now all that's left to do is to start painting it, to do this I'm going to be looking at a lot of digital painting tutorials found on the web and inside the magazine ImagineFX as for this brief I want to teach myself how to paint digitally and putting it straight into practise seems like a good way to finally break into something I've been wanting to learn for so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment